Pageviews from the past week

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Disasters and other things...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON 

Well we all try, but sometimes its just not funny. 


After making sure I used the same kiln for another slump, after all the processes that had gone before (silk screening the enamel onto each layer of glass, fusing that, then fusing 3 layers together etc) it all went HORRIBLY WRONG. I had written down the temperature and soak time that worked previously, but for some reason, unknown to me, it was too hot or held too long and was a bit of a disaster. There must have been a gremlin in the kiln.










It was very upsetting, as it was my favourite colour combination, it worked well before disaster truck! Of course several of my fellow students thought it looked good like that, but underneath the glass had folded under itself and left very sharp edges. I don't think it can be rectified, but it could be cut up and made into other things. 


Anyway in true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier...











I have another in the same kiln, although the temperature was adjusted 
-50C from the disaster temperature (which was 665C held for 35mins) but it was on a long anneal so I won't be able to see it until tomorrow, sleeping tonight will be a problem I think, especially as everything is crossed.


This particular fusing kiln apparently overheats 50C anyway so possibly that was the problem, I was not responsible for programming it! 


Only one week until final assessments and the Summer Show, PHEW...

No comments:

Post a Comment